Monday, January 31, 2005

Three Months is a Long Time...

I didn't realize how long it had been since I added anything to this so-called "BLOG"... I guess so much has happened since September that for awhile I didn't think I'd ever write anything else (or have an original thought left in my head for that matter).

So what's happened since September?

Probably the biggest thing to take up the last three plus months: Bought a house. Yep. Bought a house, nice one, too. Life is simply sooo much better! I could write a lot on this but onward. Three months of catching up.

Before we bought the house, we had some real fun--broken bone #1. This particular night (goodness I've even forgotten when it was), Jimmy crawled out of the crib yet again, but this time there was a resounding BOOMMM, and I must say I didn't hesitate to find out what happened. Anyways, I found him on the floor in a soundless cry that concerned me but at the time I thought it was merely because he was scared. I brought him to bed with me and he cried, I gave him some Tylenol because I thought he might be sore and he dozed off for awhile. After a couple hours he woke up and cried again (he was in bed with me). After more coddling, he fell back asleep and when we did our morning routine, he definitely wasn't himself and at day care, Gail, his provider, had a hard time consoling him. The next day he was still a bit cranky but otherwise himself.

Finally, by Friday as I was dressing him and lifting his arm over his head, he screamed as if in pain. In that moment I realized that he was hurt and I felt like the worst mother in the world. I felt ever so awful, since when I was about 9 years old I broke my collarbone, so I could in a sense relate.

But I called the doctor's office, got him x-rayed (what an experience THAT was) and sure enough...broken collarbone and frankly there is nothing you can do about a broken collar bone when a child is that young. After I knew, I more carefully dressed him, changed the way I picked him up and he learned to not use his hurt side as much, and I left the gate down on his crib.

As I said, we moved into a nice new house and right about that time, we quickly learned that we needed much more serious baby proofing. This new house has a finished basement and underneath the stairs there is some metal sheeting to protect the stairs. Anyways, you can't sneak up or down these stairs whatsoever. I had meant to buy the door knob thingys to prevent Jimmy from opening the cellar door, but put it off.

Then, in one of those sickening moments, Jimmy fell down those cellar stairs. I didn't see it happen but rather heard it. His father was standing at the top of the stairs as it happened. We had placed a box in front of the cellar door, thinking that it would stop him from opening the door. Boy were we stupid! In an instant, my husband screamed, "Oh MY GOD!" Then Boom, BOOM, BOOOOMM--it was the noise that the metal sheeting made as he tumbled down. At the bottom of the stairs he laid there. He seemed a bit out of breath, so he cried rather feebily and I could tell he was very scared. Luckily, the only injury was a scratch on his leg. Honestly, less than two hours later he was standing on the back of the couch and was his "old" self.... Sigh...

The lastest incident was yesterday. It was a nice flip over an office chair. But he was farting around as ever not moments later but notheless it was scary. It was the "cusp of the moment" when you didn't know if you'd be consoling your child or burying them with a broken neck. Someday I'll tell you about the incidents at his cousin's birthday party. Sigh... More white hairs and anxiety to keep me awake.

What happens when he turns three?

No comments: